Beginning Modern (Must be at least 7)
Dancers will be learning the beginnings of Graham Technique which is the cornerstone of all American Modern Dance. Student learn the opposition between contraction and release, a concept based on the breathing cycle which has become a "trademark" of modern dance forms. They are also introduced to the other dominant principle is the "spiraling" of the torso around the axis of the spine. Improvisation is also introduced.
- Girls are required to tie or pin back their hair away from the face.
- All ballet class students must wear black leotards, pink tights and pink shoes
- All Jazz and Tap students must wear black leotards, black jazz or tap shoes and jazz pants.
- All Modern students must wear black leotards and jazz pants.
- All male dancers must wear white T-shirts Black ballet shoes and black sweat pants.
- If a dancer is not in proper attire, the dancer will be asked to sit and watch class. Not having the proper attire can cause injury, and observing is another form of learning.